Thursday, November 22, 2012

A thankful heart

If the only prayer you ever say in your entire life is thank you, it will be enough. -Meister Eckhart

As we walked along the beach this afternoon, celebrating our first Thanksgiving Day in Florida, I decided it was the appropriate time to reflect on all the blessings in our lives.  It has been a wild year so far and yet our eyes have been completely open to all of it.  There have been many challenges for each member of this family and yet that is the one thing that keeps us going - each other.

Fiona and Chloe at the beach on Thanksgiving Day
I am amazed at how well our daughters have adjusted to their new lives in a new state. I am grateful that they are willing to try new things and trust that their parents will always do the best they can for their well-being.

Did I ever mention that I have the most brilliant husband?  Well, he truly is.  If I am worried about something, no matter what, he knows how to calm my mind.  He is my rock and I am so thankful that we both decided to work at the Edina Liquor Store about 13 years ago! 

We are lucky to be a part of two really fun families back in Minnesota.  It was hard to not be up there this Thanksgiving but we also know that memories are simply good times remembered and never forgotten. 

The technological age is a gift that allows us to stay more connected to friends and family than ever.  It is fun to think that no matter what time of day, I can see what people are doing thousand of miles away from us.  So, keep posting those fun things my dear friends on Facebook - I love it! 

As I was thinking about the idea of gratitude it brought me once again back to yoga practice.  Many times we attend a yoga class seeking to get something out of it.  What if we attended class with the intention that our practice were for someone or something else?  Taking the time during our practice to focus on someone or something else is a wonderful way to connect with what we are thankful for.  I love the idea of leaving judgment and expectation outside the door and focusing on the blessings in our lives.  Instead of making this a yearly process, possibly we can make it a daily process. 

On this Thanksgiving Day I am thankful for the gifts of health, love, family, friends, nature, and of course the fact that I got to share in another beautiful day in this life.

Words cannot express how much I am thankful for my loving husband and two beautiful and intelligent daughters. Whenever I get a bit down all I need to do is look at them, hug them and know I am not alone. As Mike and I were walking behind the girls this afternoon on the beach he said to me, "We are blessed." Yes my love, we are.

May the grateful light in my heart honor the grateful light in yours,

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment